.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fabot. funny enough to read

Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Young, and the Impressionable...

I've found through my infinite years (read: 24) of wisdom, i've become very impressionable through the media and advertising. I didn't used to be this way, being able to resist giving in to advertising and the attempted pursuasion of my tender and innocent mind, but somewhere along the line, it all changed. I've come to a point where i'll watch a commercial, then completely buy into it, with my newly found excitement causing me to have an unhuman level of desire for a rain gutter cleaning system (nevermind that i don't have rain gutters, i have to have it).

I went to the supermarket the other day to buy some ingredients for cookies (the cookies were my own thought), but once i got there, i went into what can only be described as a trance from which i couldn't awaken until i had bought approximately $71 (out of a total of $75) worth of ad-induced groceries. I mean, who doesn't want 8 packs of jello instant pudding? (i realize that probably the last time there was a jello pudding commercial on tv was during the reagan administration, but i never claimed that the advertising had to work immediately).

It's not just direct advertising either. Product placement is the genius brainchild of mr. placement, an advertising giant in his own mind. I was watching a movie called rounders, when i had an unbelieveable urge to eat oreos (if you've ever seen the movie, you'd understand). So of course, i had to buy some oreos, then of course i need to buy some milk. But man, that's alot of milk to drink with only oreos, so i should probably buy some cereal... Hmm, what kind of cereal should i buy? Well, you know trix are for kids (i told the clerk it was for my (inner)child), and you can't only buy trix, cuz what if you get tired of them? I should get some lucky charms too. Man, there's too many sweets here, perhaps i should counter it with some potato chips, i think i saw an ad for... yes, pringles, delish.

My tangents at the supermarket end up costing me alot of money, but can you put a price tag on happiness? It's pretty similar to the way i get distracted on the internet.

I guess my point is, thank you advertising agencies for helping me invest my money.


Mitch Hedberg's QotD:

I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm just addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.

1 Comments:

  • Mmmmmmmm...Pringles....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits